What is DHI?
The most important feature of hair transplantation by DHI (Direct Hair Implant) is not to require any stitches, scars, and cuts. The purpose of this technique is to ensure the grafts to be stronger by minimizing the period during which the grafts harvested from the backside of the head for transplantation are outside.
An online consultation (between you and a DHI Hair Transplant specialist) will be scheduled –this is done to make sure that you’re a suitable candidate for the hair transplant surgery. You will be asked to send some pictures of your face and head (from the top, front, left, right, and back angles). After a Hair Transplant specialist reviews your pictures, you will be told the approximate number of grafts that you need.
When you arrive at the clinic, you will have your final consultation which will be done face-to-face between you and your surgeon. When you have both gone through the details of the DHI Hair Transplant procedure, your surgeon will examine your overall health condition by carrying out physical and blood tests.
As you are being prepared for the surgery, your surgeon will give you long-acting local anesthesia. This is done so that you feel comfortable during the surgery. Once the anesthesia kicks in, your surgeon will start the procedure. Since there is no need to make incisions in this type of a hair transplant, the next step will be the extraction process.
Your surgeon will extract the hair follicles one by one from the donor area, using a specially designed disposable instrument with a diameter of 1mm or less.
The extracted hair follicles are then implanted directly into the recipient area using an implant tool. No holes or slits are created before implantation with the DHI hair transplant procedure.
You can always ask your surgeon to give you sedatives, just in case you’re not calm during this phase. This will help you relax
A day after the surgery, you will have to return to the clinic for a quick review. Your surgeon will most likely give you a few instructions that you should carefully follow to make the recovery process flawless. Some of the instructions include:
- You should not touch the recipient area for the first 3 days.
- You can return to low-to-moderate exercise 7 days after the session, but you should avoid heavy weight lifting for 10 days.
- You may wash the recipient area with normal pressure 10 days after the procedure to remove any scabbing and keep the scalp clean.
- You should avoid direct sun exposure for 4 weeks. This is important for a more comfortable post-op period.
- You can not use a helmet for 15 days after the procedure.
- You should avoid the usage of chemical products on your scalp for 1 month. You can use the products that your surgeon gives you after the surgery.
- It is also very important to minimize smoking for 3 days, as well as to stop consuming alcohol while taking antibiotics.